Those ascending to positions of leadership, generally fall into several candidates. Some are unprepared, unready, and unwilling to do what’s needed to truly, effectively make a difference. Others are a little more ready, have better attitudes and skills, and have an overall, positive impact, although not an extraordinary one. Still, others, reach higher and further, seek to make a real difference for the better, but end up, failing to be all they might be, either because they lack an essential, are unwilling to persist, exhibit insufficient self – confidence, etc. Very occasionally, an organization is either lucky, or blessed, because they discover a SUPERIOR leader. These are the ones, who make a real difference, create a strategy, and develop a meaningful action plan, and are capable of visualizing, conceiving of, creating, developing, and implement a relevant, sustainable system, which brings the group forward, in the best possible manner!
1. Stronger; sustainable system: Superior leaders always leave their organizations stronger, and more relevant, than they found them! They realize, while an individual’s term as a leader, is finite and limited, great leadership means understanding what is, and what should be, and creating, developing, and implementing, a relevant, sustainable system, which will move his organization, forward, into the future, in the best possible, conceivable manner!
2. Useful; usable; unique; urgent: True leadership is not about looking busy, or doing something, but leading in a useful, well – conceived manner. One’s plan must be easy to understand, and truly usable. Superior leaders put their unique fingerprint/ stamp, on their agenda, strategy, action plan, and planning! They can differentiate between the petty stuff, and what is most urgent, and requires a priority consideration.
3. Priorities; planning: Develop the best strategy, and implement an action plan, based on needs, priorities and concerns. True leaders understand they will either succeed or not, based on the quality and depth of their planning!
4. Energetic; empathetic; excellence: Proceed in a motivating, energetic manner. Be an empathetic leader, and always strive for excellence, in every effort!
5. Relevant; reliable: What good is an idea or plan, unless it is relevant, reliable, reasonable, and meaningful? What dooms many a pseudo – leader, is having a myopic perspective, and failing to understand and appreciate the bigger picture!
6. Integrity; ideas; instincts: There can be no true leadership, without absolute integrity! Why should anyone follow you, or even listen/ pay attention, if they don’t trust, or believe in you? Be a person with quality ideas, rather than rhetoric and empty promises! Superior leaders develop the instincts, to be able to trust their gut!
7. Options; opinions: One must be able to clearly differentiate between real facts, and mere opinions! Only them, does it become possible, to effectively weigh options, and determine the best course of action!
8. Ramifications; results: Beware of anyone who seeks change – for – change – sake! There are always ramifications of every action and/ or failure to act in a timely manner! Seek the best results, not just in the short – term, but into the future!
It’s up to you, what type of leader, you seek to be! Will you be mediocre, good, better or SUPERIOR?